Gerry Werth, Clinician Computing.EE, MD, PhD. Gerry presented on clinical information systems.
- Outline: engineering, primer, mass customizaiton, clinician computing, Information technologyg, Free or Open Source SW.
- Engineering Challenge: Healthcare is the most complex domain to model in software. Doctors think differently.
- Economic Stakeholders
-- customers (decisions)
-- consumers (quality)
-- wallets (money)
- Primary stakeholders
-- customer (clinician)
-- consumers (patient)
-- wallets (purchaser, insurance firms)
- Historically, the role of the healer was to 'name' the illness, so that they had power over it.
- "One reason it is so complex, is the customerr, consumer and wallets have no interests in common." Bob Lewis, InfoWorld, 2002.
* Mass customization.
-- Traditional model: invention - craft shop
-- Industrial model: Factory - mass production
-- Information model:
* Three organizations:
-- Hospital: has been a team, is trying to become a factory.
-- University: specialists are at the bottom.
-- Symphony: conductory coordinates specialists in a team-flat organization.
- Healthcare information systems should change towards mass customization via the network model.
* Chris Fuller, Open Source Medical Expert System.
- Current systems are inaccurate, unreliable.
- Problem: physicians are overwhelmed.
-- Costs are increasing.
-- Error rates in US are high
-- some people in 3rd world will never see a physician.
* Existing Medical DSS (Decision Support System) / Expert Systems
- 70 known systems
- most are proprietary.
* Proposed Solution
- Open Source DSS/Expert system.
-- more physician quaity time
-- improved care and accourace.
- allows verificaitni.
-- allows update
-- integration with CIS/EMR
-- reduction in overall cost per person-hour.
-- EADSS - EMR - USER
-- ASTM E31.28, HLL7
-- ANSI grant to harmonize these standards, possible completion in 1-2 yrs.
- Features of Openm Source DSS/Expert Systems
-- ARDEN standardized syntax.
-- Ease interface with Clinicall Information Systems CIS, Electronic Heallth Record EHR, Hospital Information Systems HIS
- Simplified Graphjica;;l User Interface.
-- Privacy (no code sharing)
--- viruses with mobile code
-- Clinical Trial Hurdles:
--- make recommendations, not diagnoses.
- Next Steps
-- Setup up IEEEE study group for open source CIS & DSS
This page is maintained by Ellis S Nolley. It was last updated on 10 December 2005.
The author(s) provide this information as a public service, and agree to place any novel and useful inventions disclosed herein into the public domain. They are not aware that this material infringes on the patent, copyright, trademark or trade secret rights of others. However, there is a possibility that such infringement may exist without their knowledge. The user assumes all responsibility for determining if this information infringes on the intellectual property rights of others before applying it to products or services.
Copyright (C) 2005 Ellis S. Nolley. Copying and distribution of this page is permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.
Back to the Meeting Archive Page